Sunday, September 11, 2016

Card Catalog Races

I'm going to state right now that this was in no way my idea.

Another teacher told me about a game her library teacher used to play when she was a kid and I took the idea. The previous teacher took two cards from the card catalog, handed them to two kids and they raced to find their book first. I thought this was fabulous (ABC order anyone?) because it teaches students to find books within the library and is a natural precursor or extension to a lesson on the online card catalog. 

Well we don't have a physical card catalog anymore so I made these cards for students to use. That have the title and call number. 

I've done this with third through sixth grade kids and they love it. Even my kids who think they are too cool for everything were begging for another turn or to race their friend. It also means my students actually want to learn where different books are in the library and how to navigate it. I get them to learn what I want and they enjoy it. Everyone wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment