Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Journey to the Centers of the Classroom Log 2

So in June I blogged about my ups and downs with centers and small groups.  Just into November I've changed course again.  My goal at the beginning of the year was to have five centers and the students would visit a different center every day.  One of those centers would be at my table.  I had done this before and it had worked well in getting me to focus on pulling a group and really working with them.  This year I have huge ability differences in my reading specifically. I teach third grade and have students who read anywhere from first grade level to fifth and sixth grade level and then I have a group of students that struggles with comprehension.  Meeting in mixed groups wasn't meeting the individual needs of my students so I had to do some revamping.

One of the big shifts I've made this year is that I rarely meet with my lowest group as a whole group.  I have gotten to where I meet with them individually and I usually don't meet them during centers. Instead, I try to pull them throughout the day as I have time.  The activities I do with them are usually more individualized and we do anything from sight words to phonics books to just practicing fluency.  They each have their own needs and it is just easier to work with them one-on-one.

One of the games I love and so do my students is Buzz.  These are fluency phrases and Buzz cards.  The students have to read the card and keep it if they read it correctly. If they get a buzz card they have to put them all back.  When we do play it with the group they are so excited they can barely stand to wait their turn.  Even my kids who really don't like reading love to play this with their friends.  This is definitely one of those little gems from TPT that I love having as a resource.



Another resource I enjoy using with them is from Miss DeCarbo's store.  Her text evidence packages are great for my lower readers that need practice going back and looking for text evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment