Thursday, November 6, 2014

CUBES and Word Problems

So this is a method that I saw other teachers use. While it doesn't fix all my kids problems in word problems, it does at least help a little bit.


The underlying idea is that students have to break down the word problem and really understand the information and what is being asked BEFORE they solve the problem.  At the moment, some schools are trying to move away from the "action words" like "in all" or "how much more." This method does work better for some of my students though, so I do introduce it to them. It helps them make sense of all the "stuff" they are reading.  This is a page I like to print for them to keep close in case they need it to help them figure out where to go. If you like it you can download it as a freebie from my TPT store.

1 comment: