Monday, August 12, 2013

My Tree

Experimenting in the Classroom: Classroom Decorations

Like a lot of teachers I know, I'm slightly obsessed with Pinterest.  I found a wall decal tree that I fell in love with here.  Of course I saw polka dots and swirls and it was perfect.  I decided to get crafty and make something similar, because I didn't think that would A) fit on my wall and B) stay on my wall.

My first problem is that I am not a crafty person, so I started by cutting swirls out of circles.

Experimenting in the Classroom
It was going pretty well until I got through about 50 swirls and realized I had no idea how I was going to attach them to the wall. It was going to take infinite amounts of glue or tape and was going to look incredibly messy.

So I decided to do what I really didn't want to, paint.  I made a tree, which was the easy part.

Experimenting in the Classroom


I also made my own swirl stencil because I couldn't find one I liked.  I'm picky.  After some tentative trial and error, I found out that painting is actually therapeutic for me.  I'm really not an artist, so it takes a lot of concentration and effort on my part.  It's a huge excitement when the paint actually looks great too.  Here is about an hour into my paint job:


Experimenting in the Classroom


I'm pretty impressed since it is all coming together and looks pretty good.  I'm pretty sure the tree is never moving from my wall.  It's not quite done yet, but it's a good start for the year.



Experimenting in the Classroom


2 comments:

  1. Okay. Honest opinion: I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I'm not a teacher, but you have great ideas, and it almost (ALMOST) makes me wish I was a teacher.

    That said, since I'm commenting, is the tree just decoration, or does it serve another purpose too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest opinion: I LOVE YOU! lol.

      The tree decorates above my library. This wall is at the back of my room so having a bulletin board wouldn't make sense with the kids not being close to it. I needed something to cover the wall though and I decided to just have fun. I want reading to be fun so I decided the library area needed to look fun. Hopefully I get time to add to it this summer and turn it into a more 3-D tree.

      Delete